Friday, December 4, 2009

My First Appearance!

I made my first appearance as Miss Ohio Teen USA! My sister, Tara is a third grade teacher at Cornerstone Academy in Columbus, Ohio. I am extremely close with my sister and it is hard on me not being able see her all the time. Tara has been my role model and my best friend. She is one of my biggest supporters and is so proud of me. She shared with her colleagues at work that I was Miss Ohio Teen USA. When the principal of Tara's school heard my good news, she invited me to visit the school as a guest speaker to the children. I was thrilled and so excited for this opportunity! One of my goals as Miss Ohio Teen USA is to visit schools across Ohio and encourage children to become aware of their inner beauty and promote a positive self-image. I want to inspire children to believe in themselves and realize that no one can make you feel inferior without your consent. One of my life ambitions is to ALWAYS stay true to myself. I think it is very important for children to learn this at a young age and develop self-confidence.

I traveled to Columbus November 23rd and spent the night with my sister. I woke up early the next morning and went to school with her. This was the last day of school for the students before Thanksgiving break. The students in Tara's class were adorable and they truly made me feel like a celebrity! They were so excited to see me and I was just as thrilled to see them. My day was broken up into assemblies by grades. I began with the children in kindergarten and ended speaking to the seventh graders. The students were well behaved and treated me with respect. I truly had a blast talking to the children and answering their questions! After the assemblies were over, I visited a number of classrooms. The first graders had a Thanksgiving feast and invited me to come and share it with them. They made me an Indian hat and the cutest Happy Thanksgiving cards. Each student wrote about how thankful they were that I came to visit. They truly made my day! The students asked if I would come back to visit them and I think I just might do that! I took a countless number of pictures and signed just as many autographs. It is my hope to be a positive influence on children and young adults. I felt that I accomplished my goal and brightened the day for these students. I know they certainly brightened my day!



This is my sister's classroom bright and early
in the morning before the children arrived!





Here are some of the adorable first graders that
invited me to their Thanksgiving feast. They were
so sweet! They wrote me the nicest cards that I will
keep forever! I will never forget them! :)

After speaking to all of the classes, I spent the remainder of
the day with my sister's 3rd graders. They were the cutest!
I helped them with their math homework and then had a
free day the rest of the time! We watched "The Lion King"
together and danced to Michael Jackson haha!
I had a blast with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment